skip to content
Primary navigation

Resources for Metro Area Families in Response to Public Safety Concerns

Below is information to support families across the state during the evolving public safety situation following the death of Daunte Wright and during and after the Derek Chauvin Trial.


Parent and Family resource guide ( Hmong, Somali and Spanish ) for families related to COVID-19, including economic, child care, mental health, and other supports.

Basic Needs

United Way 211. If you need food, basic supplies, a safe place to go, or other resources, call 2-1-1, text your ZIP code to 898-211, or visit the website to chat with a Community Resource Specialist.

Hennepin County can help you find clothing, financial assistance, groceries, medical care and equipment, and medication. Call 612-348-3000 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. seven days a week. Help is available in multiple languages. Visit the Hennepin County Community Resources webpage.

Ramsey County provides assistance and resources for health, food and basic needs, housing, employment, small businesses and more. Please visit or call 651-266-8500. Materials and help are available in several languages.


The Hunger Solutions website and helpline can connect you to food shelves in affected areas. Call 888-711-1151 Monday-Friday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Help is available for multiple languages.

Minnesota Department of Human Services website for information on emergency food support.

City of Minneapolis list of food shelves in Minneapolis.

Child Care

Families in need of child care can visit or call 1-888-291-9811.

Health Care

If are having trouble accessing medicines, you can take the following steps:

  • Contact your pharmacy, they may be able to fill the prescription from another location or have them delivered/mailed to you.
  • Contact your insurance provider or managed care organization and ask for help to find pharmacies that are open and able to get your medication to you. If you’re enrolled in Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, health plan member services phone numbers can be found here .
  • If you need a prescription transferred to a new pharmacy, you may need to contact your prescriber. If necessary, a pharmacy may provide a 72-hour supply of medication on an emergency basis until you can get a prescription. 
  • If your regular pharmacy is closed down and you are unable to reach them or your prescriber, you may temporarily be able to get up to a 30-day supply of your prescription (with the exception of certain controlled substances) at a different pharmacy. The pharmacist will need enough information to accurately fill the prescription, so you should be prepared to provide that information such as a labeled prescription vial or printout from an online health record.

To find low-cost or free physical, mental, and dental health care clinics use the MN Low-Cost Health Care Directory.

If you are an Minnesota Health Care Program (Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare) member looking for a provider, you can search the MHCP Provider Directory of fee-for-service providers. If you are enrolled in a health plan, contact your health plan to help find providers and to get support with other medical needs, such as transportation to appointments.

State of Minnesota website on health care coverage and assistance

COVID-19 vaccine information

COVID-19 testing information

Disability Hub MN (1-866-333-2466) provides free, statewide, information, referral and assistance service to help people with disabilities, chronic illnesses and their representatives connect to community services.

Mental Health and Trauma Resources

Minnesota Department of Human Services Resources for Communities Affected by Racial Trauma

Minnesota Department of Health Resources in the Wake of Community Trauma and Beyond

Mental Health Support hotlines and websitesThe recent events have been anxiety provoking and traumatizing for many. Mental health hotlines provide free support to Minnesotans experiencing anxiety and mental distress.

This Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) tip sheet introduces some of the signs of grief and anger after an incident of community violence, provides useful information about to how to cope with grief, and offers tips for helping children deal with grief.

back to top